Thursday, January 17, 2008

Romney vs. Associated Press Reporter

Romney, AP Reporter Spar Over Lobbyists' Role in Campaign

Mitt Romney and AP Reporter Glen Johnson got into a verbal tussle in Columbia, S.C. on Thursday after the reporter began drilling the Republican presidential candidate over his claims that lobbyists do not steer his campaign.

Here's the heated back and forth:

Romney: I don't have lobbyists running my campaign. I don't have lobbyists that are tied to my...

Johnson: That's not true, governor. That is not true. Ron Kaufman is a lobbyist.

Romney: Did you hear what I said? Did you hear what I said, Glen? I said I don't have lobbyists running my campaign, and he's not running my campaign.

Johnson: He's a senior advisor.

Romney: He's an advisor. And the person who runs my campaign is Beth Myers, and I have a whole staff of deputy campaign managers.

Johnson: Is Beth Meyers on the plane with you?

Romney: Beth Myers has been on the plane with me, and Beth Myers is running my campaign, absolutely. Do I know--

Johnson: So Ron's just ... window dressing. He's just a potted plant?

Romney: Ron is a wonderful friend -- an advisor. He's not paid. He's an advisor like many others. But I do not have lobbyists running my campaign. Glen, I appreciate that you think that's funny, but Ron Kaufman is not even in on the senior strategy meetings of our campaign.

Johnson: (inaudible)

Romney: Excuse me, Glen. He is not in on the senior strategy meetings of our campaign.

Johnson: Is he in the debate sessions at all? Any time --

Romney: At any time? Has he ever been at a debate session? Sure. Is that a senior strategy meeting? Is that a senior strategy meeting of our campaign? No. Let me go back and complete the point I was making. My campaign is not based on Washington lobbyists. I haven't been in Washington. I don't have lobbyists at my elbows that are arguing for one industry or another industry. And I do not have favors I have to repay to people who have been in Washington for years nor scores I have to settle. And I'm going to Washington to make things happen. And somebody doesn't put the kind of financial resources that I've put into this campaign and the personal resources I've put into this campaign in order to do favors for lobbyists. I'm going to Washington to help the American people, and that's what this campaign is all about.

Romney spokesman Eric Fehnstrom later scolded Johnson for being argumentative with the candidate and "out of line," and told him to "act professionally."

-- Dispatch from FOX News' Shushannah Walshe.

No comments: